Category Archives: Software defined radio

New PowerSDR software

I had experimented with PowerSDR/IFStage software last year with the K3, but the old version didn’t support a 64-bit computer, which I’m running. So I let it alone for a few months and checked the web site Sunday and there is a new version, 1.19.3.4, that supports the bigger computer, so I downloaded it. As with all software upgrades, it didn’t work right at first, but that’s half the fun of this stuff. I soon figured out I’d have up upgrade the LP Bridge software as well, and after I did that, it still didn’t work. Then came an hour of trying different combinations, and looking carefully at all the setup fields, and suddenly, I saw the problem. I checked the right box, and it works great. The PowerSDR, combined with the LP-Pan Panadapter, gives me a nice panadapter and computer. Here’s a short video of it in action.

K3 as a software defined radio

I’ve added the LP Panadaptor from Telepost to the K3 last week. The LP-PAN take an IF output from the K3 and adapts it into the sound card of a computer. You can then use Power SDR software, the same software used to run the FLEX radios, and use the computer as your receiver with full filtering. You can use the computer as a second receiverm while using the K3 as your first receiver. It also gives you a very nice band scope you can use while choosing to use either the receiver in the radio or the computer.

In short, it adds a whole lot of versatility to the K3. It also adds complexity. Getting this all set up isn’t for the computer illiterate, or someone who doesn’t want to spend some time reading manuals, user groups, and puzzling through getting all the settings tweaked. Enjoy the video.

I got this set up last Saturday night, just before leaving for a week on the road for work, so I haven’t had much time to play with it. I’m still learning. Like any computer thing, it seems like things work differently each time. Last Saturday night it was flawless. I came down last night and turned it on and it was buggy as all get out and I spent a couple hours trying to solve the bugs. I turned it on this morning, and it’s flawless again. My guess is I need more computer.